Saturday, September 22, 2012

Kinky Gal Lola



Tell me a little about yourself.
My name is Lola. I am from Chattanooga, TN where natural hair was not accepted when I was much younger but sneaking in slowly.
 Why did you go natural?
I went natural in the 6th grade for no real reason just to rebel on my mother who loved hair , so I went to a beautician and she cute if off... FULL FADE!! I was definitely mistaken for a boy from behind; from teacher who did not know me....Good thing I had ghetto friends to curse them out as I watched in silence. I use to walk away looking at the teacher like, "Im sorry you have to get blessed out by my friend." hehehehe

How long have you been natural?
I have been natural since age 11, got a relaxer at 16, got rid of the relaxer at 18. Still natural at the age of 25.
Sometimes Lola likes to go out in public like this. It is a fetish.

What is your hair care routine?
I wet my hair and add shea butter...style as desired.

Did you transition? Tell me about your transitioning process.
Lets just say I knew nothing. Thank God for beauticians!!! Its funny b/c when we come over to the freedom side we realize we are product junkies which in all actuality make natural hair very expensive when you first get into it. You live and you learn.
Lola with Nashville Rueda


What are your fave products?
Shea Butter

Who is your hair icon?
My Aunt JD Richards, b/c she is a pioneer for natural hair. She has worked with chemist to customize products for ppl like us, so we can go from straight and tight kink.

What has helped your hair growth?
I would have to say braids, but I don't let my hair grow that much. I cut it off when I feel like it. The men in my life have never complained. If they do, why did they get with me in the first place.
Eejay and Lola

What has hindered your hair growth?
Color and dryness

How do you feel about relaxers?
I don't hate them, but I figure why go get you hair straightened permanently when you can have the versatility of both worlds.

How has going natural changed your life?
Well before I went natural people didn't ask me, "why did you cut your hair?" I really have a problem with that b/c I have cut my hair wearing a relaxer and no one would say anything. Happy nappy me always got 24 questions when I went natural. It has made me a stronger women, I must say. I'm more confident and I know that what ever I display on my head is not going to be the end of me. So many people get caught up in what type of weave is in fashion its a trip. Also people assume my hair never grows b/c of the tight curl pattern I have. I literally went to the barber shop they picked out my hair and was amazed b/c it was packed down. What can I say its Kunta!!lol


What is your current hair goal?
To keep it moisturized.
Lola as a leopard

How have men responded to you being natural?
 I have dated all men while natural....Indian, black, white, red and yellow! There are some that feel it is too much for them; they are all brainwashed by the American Dream...lol Men go through the same thing in embracing their natural hair as well.(I wont go into it) They have more respect for me, but they don't approach me so well. They tend to ask close friends about me but never do they approach me. I'm not intimidating...just saying.

Things you wish you knew when you first went natural?
That it would be such a big thing NOW!!
Lola at Halloween

Anything else you want to tell me?
Natural is still evolving, its something people aren't running away from now.

Lola and David Lucas

Do you have a website/youtube page you would like to share?
NOPE!!! but check out my friends t-shirts at naturalbeautifulme.myshopify.com/








2 comments:

  1. beautiful!!! i feel like i got to know Lola better thru this!!! nice! :) Lola we still have some photography to dooooo.... :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol. You see that lola takes some crazy pics...I hope you are ready kana!

    ReplyDelete

What do you have to say?