Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Excuse Me But You Have Food In Your Hair

Hello everyone!
This post is about the many different foods that you can use to condition your hair. I really like using natural food products for hair and skin care. If you can't eat it you really should not be putting products on you skin and hair. You skin is the largest organ and absorbs whatever is put on it. Although many commercial products contain only minute amounts of harmful chems, over time it can add up.
Not only can making your own concoctions be better for your health, but you can save a lot of money as well. That is the main reason I make my own products.
So here are some of my top hair care recipes using food.


Pre-poo conditioning treatment

  Ingredients:  Coconut Oil (virgin or refined)  +  Honey
Simply add 1 tablespoon of honey to 2 tablespoons of coconut oil. Mix together and apply to hair.
The coconut oil acts and a moisturizer and conditioner because it's molocules are small enough to slip into the hair shaft . The honey is a humectant and draws moisture out of the hair into the hair follicle. Don't worry-the mixture won't be sticky.

Pre-pooing is coonditioning your hair before you use shampoo. Many naturals suffer from dryness and shampoo can make dryness ever worse. Using a pre-poo treatment can help to combat dryness caused by a shampoo and can make de-detangling easier. When I use my pre-poo treatment I dampen my hair and then place the coconut oil and honey and my hair and let it sit for at least 30 min. Then I rinse with water and use shampoo or sometimes I just co-wash.




Deep Conditioning Protein Treatment
Ingredients: 1 Avocado + 1 Egg yolk + enough water to make a paste
Mash together the avocado and eggyolk and apply to damp hair after shampooing. Wrap in a warm towel or put on a shower cap to use your body heat. Leave on for about 20 min. Rinse out.

Avocado is a wonderful fruit. It high in fat and full of vitamins and minerals which are good for your body and the inside and outside. I did an avocado treatment once and left tiny bits of the fruit in my hair cause I was being to lazy to rinse it all out. To this day that is the softest my hair has ever felt.


Hair Cleansing and Hair Rinse

Ingredients:  Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
Mix 1 cup ACV with 2 cups  water. Pour on hair and scalp and massage. Rinse out.

I first heard about this on YouTube (vid posted below). She said that it works pretty well as a hair cleanser. I usually use ACV as a final rinse after I shampoo. The science is that a lot of shampoos have a high pH which cause hair to dry out. ACV has a low pH which balances out the higher pH of the shampoos. It seals the cuticle and smoothes the hair out. When I use it do find that my hair is smoother and has more shine.




Hair Moisture Sealant 
Ingredients: Coconut Oil + Shea Butter
Mix 3 parts Shea butter and 1 part coconut oil. Combine and melt over low heat and wait for it to harden you can place in fridge to speed this up). Apply to hair when wet or damp to seal in moisture and to use as a setting lotion.

I know techically in America shea butter is not a food, however many of my African friends have told me that they have eaten shea butter when sick and their moms have use shea butter to cook with. Based off their stories I have concluded that it is safe to be consumed by humans.
I love love LOVE this recipe.This is my go to for my hair and body needs. It is loaded with vitamins, minerals, and works wonderfully. When I do twists out with this mixture, my hair feels so soft like a baby's hair. Just try it, you won't regret it.

Well ladies now you have all the haircare products you need to obtain a head of natural healthy hair. Are there any other recipies you would like to share?



No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you have to say?